Friday, February 12, 2010

PREPARING FOR BABY – THINGS TO BUY - EVERYDAY STUFF [PART 2]

EVERYDAY

• Steam steriliser
[There are 3 ways to sterilise baby bottles. (i) Using traditional way of boiling water, (ii) using steam steriliser (iii) using sterilising tablets. I personally uses steam steriliser and found it to be very useful. A reasonable one should cost between S$50 to S$100.


The metal plate for heating do get "rusty" after a while, so do remember to clean the steriliser regularly, either using lemon or vinegar. I personally do it once a month to keep the metal plate squeaky clean. You should be able to find info on how to go about cleaning the steriliser in the user guide]

I bought a 3-in-1 steriliser from Pigeon (see picture above). On hindsight, I would have bought the bottle steriliser only, if it is cheaper coz I realised that I have not actually used the food / bottle warmer at all. It's such a waste of money to pay for features that I do not use.



• Steriliser tablets
[I feel that this is not necesssary unless you are travelling overseas.]

• Liquid cleanser
[Yes. This is important. Do get a large pump bottle, and refill it regularly using refillable packets.]

• Bottle tongs
[I bought tongs but ended up not using it. I usually wash my hands clean before touching the sterilised bottles. So this is up to you]



• Brush for Washing Bottles
[Yes. This is important. Trying not to use brush with bristles as it may scratch the inside of bottles. Over time, bacteria may grow. Instead, go for sponge brush. No need to get it at baby dept as it tends to be a lot pricier. Check out some of the neighbourhood shops. They should have this.]

• Small Brush for Washing Teats
[Yes. This is important. Please remember to remove the teats from the bottle cap whenever you wash the bottles.]




• Feeding bottle
[Yes. Definitely you'll need this unless you intend to nurse your baby directly. Do get a few bottles. I would suggest at least 4-5 bottles.

Am personally using glass bottles as I have read about plastic ones which may be harmful for babies unless it is bisphenol-free. I intend to switch to plastic (bisphenol free ones when my baby can hold her own bottles). So do consider the pros and cons before deciding whether plastic or glass ones suits you better.]


• Teats
[Yes. Do get a few of these. I would suggest 4-5 if possible]

• 2 Small Tubs for Washing Bottles
[I also bought a small tub for washing bottles as I do not like the idea of placing bottles and teats in the sink. Each tub cost $2-$3. But I am just being KS, so this is entirely up to you. ]

• Fever cool plaster
[Can consider buying one box. (One box should contain 2-3 plasters). I'll use this when baby comes home from vaccination and fever is starting to run. You will want to consider putting the fever cool plaster in the fridge before using]

• Food warmer
[Not necessary.]

• Milk bottle dryer
[Not necessary. Dun waste money on this]

• Milk bottle container
[Yes, if you intend to feed baby powder milk. This is useful when you bring baby out]

• Baby napkin
[Not necessary unless you intend to use cloth diapers.]

• Nappy liners
[Not necessary unless you intend to use cloth diapers]

• Nappy rash cream
[Yes. You will need this.]

• Pacifier
[Not necessary unless your baby has the habit of using pacifier]

• Cotton wool / balls
[Yes. I uses cotton ball to clean my baby's butt when she poo-poo. Prepare a small container for holding water. ]

• Baby wipes
[Yes. This is necessary. Do also get some in travel size, so that you can use it when you bring baby out.]

• Diaper
[Yes. Hospital will usually give you the remaining diapers when you are discharged. It also depends on the size of your baby. I would recommend you get 1 packet of Pampers diapers for Newborn and another packet of Small size diapers. Some babies outgrow Newborn size diapers quite quickly. I personally like Petpet brand as it is cheap and good]




• Thermometer
[Yes. This is important when your baby starts vaccination. Some jabs cause fever. As such, you will need to monitor your baby's temperature closely.

I started off using Pigeon thermometer coz it was cheap. (<$10). But as it takes 2-3 minutes to take my baby's temperature, I gave up after a while coz my baby hardly sits still. I ended up purchasing a Braun thermometer. Takes only 2 seconds via her ear. Cost me more than S$100 but so far, no regret.]



Last but not least, for some woman, their milk supply do not come until the third or fourth day. While waiting for the supply to come, it was really stressful when baby cries for milk and there's none. As such, even if you decide to breastfeed, do consider purchasing a small can of milk powder for contingency, in case your supply comes in only on the 4th day onwards. An unopened can could last a while but once opened, it should be consumed within 30 days.

1 comment:

  1. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more content...Great job, keep it up.baby things to buy

    ReplyDelete